These items are required by the state, OHSAA and school board to coach for the Monroe Athletic Department. They must be completed and turned in before beginning coaching duties. If you think you have a completed PAP please check the state website to ensure your credential is not expired. If you have already taken the NFHS Courses you can verify completion by searching for your completed NFHS courses. See information from ODE on the Process.
1. BCI AND FBI BACKGROUND CHECK - (Required for PAP)
BCI/FBI $60 (payment only accepted on EZpay https://www.spsezpay.com/monroe/login.aspx). Background checks are done at the Monroe Local Schools Central Office (Bring photo ID). If BCI and FBI check was done previously, please call 513-539-2536 and check with Lori to verify if a new FBI/BCI will be needed. If background check was not completed within previous 12 months you will need a new one to apply for a Pupil Activity Permit.
2. NFHS FUNDAMENTALS OF COACHING COURSE - (Required for PAP)
All applicants are required to take this on-line course as a ONE-TIME fulfillment. Cost is $65.00 and offered on-line at www.nfhslearn.com. Please print and turn in certificate.
3. NFHS CONCUSSION COURSE - (Required for PAP)
Free on-line at www.nfhslearn.com Please print and turn in certificate - renewal required evey 3 years.
4. CPR TRAINING - (Required for PAP)
A valid CPR certification card must be on file with the athletic office. The Athletic Department trainer will deliver regular CPR class at the high school for $10. Most certifications are valid for 2 years.
5. SUDDEN CARDIAC ARREST TRAINING - (Required for PAP)
Each year, coaches must review the Ohio Department of Health's new video and related fact sheet. Coaches should complete the course through the ODE's Learning Management System (LMS). Access LMS through individual SAFE accounts. On the LMS homepage at top right, select the Course Catalog. Then search for sudden cardiac arrest to find the course. After permit holders view the materials and pass a short test, they can earn their certificates of completion.
PLEASE NOTE: NFHS Sudden Cardiac Arrest Course DOES NOT Meet this requirement.
6. First Aid & Safety Course - This course can be completed online via www.nfhslearn.com or through an approved in person course. Periodic in-person training sessions are available through Atrium Medical Center / Premier Health Network at no charge. There is an a fee of $45 for the online course. This certification is valid for 3 years. More information regarding the First Aid & Safety Course is outlined under the Pupil Activity Permit Application section below.
PUPIL ACTIVITY PERMIT APPLICATION
Permit is valid for 3, 4 or 5 years. Application must be submitted online which requires a SAFE account:
Any ONE first aid training requirement is also needed when applying for permit: - (Required for PAP)
Option 1. Ohio Department of Education Approved Pupil Activity Program
A class is offered through Atrium Sports Medicine ($20). However class may NOT be offered in applicant’s time frame. See available courses around the state. Courses offered by Premier Health Network and Atrium Hospital.
Option 2. Medical License
The following medical licenses are acceptable: MD, DO, DC, RN, EMT, or ATC.
Option 3. Nationally Approved Programs
NFHS First Aid for Coaches, Red Cross Sports Prevention Training, or American Sports Education Program.
1) Set up SAFE account - Date of Birth, last 4 digits of Social Security #, Ohio Driver’s license or State of Ohio ID number (available from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles).
Once the Ohio Department validates the SAFE account, the user should log in to verify that his or her email address is entered correctly. You may do this by clicking on the “change email” link.
2) Login to ODE Safe Account
3) Click ODE.CORE
4) Click My Educator Profile
5) Click My Applications
6) Select Button that says ‘New Credential Application’
7) Choose Permit > Pupil Activity/Coaching Permit
8) Follow remaining steps to complete application
You will need to let the athletic secretary know that you have completed the appropriate coursework and provide certificates of completion for all courses so that the central office & superintendant can approve your application.
To drive a van transporting students or atheltes you will need to watch video and complete documents from the Ohio Department of Education.
Work with the athletic and transportation office to schedule a T-8 Physical; Drug Test; Driving performance evaluation and Review; Copy of Driver License.