All absences must be reported to your child's specific school building each day.
Any medical appointments or court excuse notes should provide a physical note within five days to excuse the absence. Please turn in any notes to the building secretary upon returning to school.
Planned absences for longer than two days require administrator approval- please send in a detailed note with your child with the date(s) listed.
Rule 19 – Truancy, Excessive Absenteeism (5200)
(Refer to the district code of conduct for full attendance policy)
It is important for every student at Monroe to attend school every day. Missing too much school has long-term, negative effects on students, such as lower achievement and graduation rates. The Ohio General Assembly passed House Bill 410 to encourage and support a preventative approach to excessive absences and truancy.
Definition of ‘habitual truant’ changed from days to hours. The new definition is:
- Absent 30 or more consecutive hours without a legitimate excuse;
- Absent 42 or more hours in one month without legitimate excuse; or
- Absent 72 or more hours in one year without legitimate excuse.
Excessive absences include excused and unexcused hours:
- Absent 38 or more hours in one school month with or without a legitimate excuse; or
- Absent 65 or more hours in one school year with or without a legitimate excuse.
With students who are ‘habitually truant,' a parent/guardian will be invited to participate in an absence intervention plan (AIP) meeting via email.
- Parent/guardian contacted by the attendance officer once student has met the habitual truancy threshold
- Set up a meeting with the student and parents/guardians
- Create an attendance intervention plan
- Discuss resources to encourage daily attendance
- Refer to children's services/juvenile court