Skip to Main Content

Special Education

Nancy Stratton, Director of Pupil Personnel

(513) 539-2536

Kathy Bolden, Administrative Assistant

(513) 360-0545

Monroe Local Schools provides a full continuum of special education services. Special education services include specially designed instruction to meet a student’s unique educational needs and related services to support a student’s educational program. These services range from support for students placed in general education classroom settings to resource room settings for students whose educational needs require more intensive services and support.


Mission Statement

It is our mission to plan, coordinate and implement specialized services that remove barriers to learning. We provide these services in partnership with students, parents, teachers and other members of the Monroe learning community. We believe that every child is a unique individual able to learn, deserves to feel a sense of true belonging to our school community, and deserves to reach his or her full potential and become a contributing member of society.


Important Notices


Child Find

Monroe Local Schools is annually required to locate, identify and evaluate children suspected of, or identified with, an educational disability under the Individuals with Disability Education Act (IDEA), or children with mental or physical impairments that substantially limit a major life activity under Section 504 who reside within the district. This obligation applies regardless of whether the children receive a public education. The process of locating, identifying and evaluating children with disabilities is known as Child Find.

The school district routinely evaluates students who present with suspected disability or impairment and who may require academic intervention or support. Parents may contact school personnel to discuss their concerns at any time. As the district of residence, Monroe has the responsibility to identify and arrange for appropriate services for any child with a qualifying disability.

If you have or know of a school district resident who may have a child ages 3 to 21 with a disability or impairment, please contact Nancy Stratton at

For more information about Child Find, please click on the link below:

Child Find Notification Letter


Scholarship Availability

Your child may be eligible for a scholarship under the Autism Scholarship Program or the Jon Peterson Special Needs Scholarship Program. Please click the links below for more information:

Scholarship Eligibility Notice

Ohio Department of Education Scholarship Information


Doe vs. State of Ohio

On July 2, 2009, the Southern District of Ohio granted the parties' Second Joint Motion for Preliminary Approval of Partial Class Action Settlement in the case of John Doe, et al., v. State of Ohio, et al., Case No. 2:91-cv-464 (Doe v. State of Ohio). The partial settlement, which is reflected in a consent order, concerns certain claims regarding the State of Ohio's procedures for implementing the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Improvement Act of 2004 (IDEA). Please click the link below to read the order:

Doe vs. State of Ohio


Whose IDEA Is This?  A Parent’s Guide to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004 (IDEA)

Please click the link below to view the guidance booklet for parents of students with disabilities:

Whose IDEA Is This



What should I do if I suspect my child has a disability?

For children at least two and a half years of age, but not yet age eligible for kindergarten, you should contact Kathy Bolden at (513) 539-2536. For students who are eligible for kindergarten through age 21, please contact your child’s teacher, school counselor or building principal to discuss your concerns and explore possible actions.

How are special education services determined for my student?

An evaluation is the process that allows the school district to pinpoint whether your child has a disability that will require special education services (not all disabilities do). The evaluation will suggest what kinds of special education services your child will need or confirm that your child will be able to learn in the general education classroom with other students. You will be a partner in the evaluation process and a member of your child’s evaluation team. Other members of the team are the school principal, a district representative, the school psychologist, the general education teacher, and an intervention specialist.  School counselors and occupational, physical or speech and language therapists can be part of the team as well.

What services are available for my student with a disability?

Special education services are provided to students through an individualized education program (IEP). The educational team develops this customized program, which includes specially designed instruction provided by an intervention specialist or related service professional, wherein goals are set for your child’s learning. Your child’s progress towards these goals will be monitored and reported to you multiple times throughout the school year.

How often is a student’s IEP reviewed?

A student’s IEP is reviewed at least once a year.

What is a Section 504 Plan and how is it different from an IEP?

A Section 504 Plan is for students with a physical or mental impairment which impacts classroom learning. A 504 Plan is different from an IEP in that it promotes student success through accommodations rather than specially designed instruction. While an IEP is governed by IDEA, the law governing 504 Plans is the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you suspect that your child has a disability that may qualify them for a 504 Plan, please contact your child’s building principal.

Who can I contact with other questions about special education?

Nancy Stratton at

loading gif